Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Unnamed Portrait Progress


"



Today I wanted to share the next set of progress photographs for the current project I'm working on. I've yet to decide on a title for this piece but I am playing around with a few ideas. Maybe something along the lines of "...flowers in her hair, flowers everywhere..." - I'm not sure yet, but the lines from this song keep coming back to me over and over. You know it I'm sure. The Cowsills - The Rain, The Park and Other Things. I swear this song could pull me from the depths of the deepest funk. 


Go on, click the play button now - I dare you not to dance along.






As I started to add more detail, more marks, highlights and lowlights I decided that the feathers to the right of the face just really weren't working very well for me at this time. I love and admire Juliette's native American theme but I just have no connection to these roots and I wasn't really feeling it. It was at this point that I realised I needed to change that theme.


One of the things I have been doing lately is using collage to recover from that feeling of...I don't know what to do next. As soon as I started tearing up my tissue paper and laying it onto my canvas I knew she needed a hat. Or a bonnet. Actually more of a sunhat really. Something fun.


And it happened late at night so here's the horrible night photo.





It was at this point The Cowsills paid me a visit and I had direction again with my painting. There are still parts I am wanting to change, particularly now as I am looking back over these photographs so I will be tackling them at some point shortly.




Please forgive my horrible phone photos. In reality the colours in this piece are bright, vivid and rich. I am looking forward to having access to my old studio again soon but in the meantime I only have bare minimums to work with.


Have a great day xx

2 comments:

  1. I really love where this is going and the way this image is coming together .. love the sun hat .. and thoroughly enjoyed listening to the Cowsills while reading this post!! Brilliant!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I just think the whole painting looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I adore your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave a message for me xx